Sophia Fisher during their first Halloween.

A future oh so bright

“N’oublie pas de vivre - Don’t forget to live”

Coming into high school without the friendships already created by my peers coming from Wakefield Middle, I felt set adrift as I tried to find where my place was going to be; I came in not knowing where I fit in or what I was passionate about. Looking back on the previous four years, knowing I’ve met some of the people who will be in my life until I die, I’m amazed at how much they’ve helped me grow into my true self.

Starting junior year after having missed out on the formative years of high school, I threw myself headfirst into theatre, the only thing I was confident about. Walking in a week before summer ended to help with the department’s costume cleanout, I met the person that would truly bring me out of my shell. She became my best friend and encouraged me to audition for the fall show. When I landed the lead role in the play and made my first real friend group in high school, I finally felt like I belonged at Wakefield. 

Through theatre and the friends I’ve made because of it, I’ve learned to be confident in myself and my beliefs. My ability to speak in public has helped me grow as a leader, on and off the stage. The patience I’ve gained – for both myself and others – through having such a strong support group has encouraged me to ask for help when I need it and work alongside people to reach my goals. 

My senior year, I took these skills I learned and used them to take initiative for my future. I gained leadership roles in multiple honor societies around the school and directed the Wakefield Elementary School musical. I reached out to friends and teachers for help with my college essays and audition preparation. And most importantly, I took control of what I wanted my future to look like. Instead of standing by and letting the future come, I decided to shape it into something I am excited to experience. 

At Wakefield I learned to combine my love of performing with my love of computer science. I’m preparing to pursue a major in both of these careers and I can’t wait to do so at UNC Chapel Hill.

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Howler Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *