Max Rubino

Learn about Wakefield’s 2022-23 chapter for Key Club International.

Key Club

Answers provided by Lance Atkinson, advisor of Key Club

What is Key Club?

Key club is a great opportunity just for students to get involved and to really take ownership of not only their school, but their community and what they want to do in life. I would say it’s volunteer work for wherever work needs to be done. The students set those priorities themselves which is fantastic. Their goals and what they want to accomplish. 

What do you do for Key Club?

I don’t think I do much. The students do all the work, It is student-led. I’m really just a facilitator and it’s great to see the students take action. 

What are the typical meeting dates?

The meetings will generally be on Thursdays in the afternoon mainly in the media center.

When is the next meeting?

On Thursday, Sept. 15 there is an interest meeting for all grades. Apparently, there’s a lot of interest for our club where the school does not need us to have a table at the club fair. 

How do you join Key Club?

You can just join. Of course, if you join, you have to pay the membership dues. There’s also the hours requirement. The hours are not that difficult because we have many opportunities from service events we’re going to be running, working concessions, mistletoe market, and anything that the school puts on. 

Why did you decide to become the new advisor for Key Club?

I taught some of the students and saw their need for someone, as a teacher to take over, and just how much they enjoyed and got out of it. Why would I not help them? I want to help them fulfill all the goals they set. It’s not my club, it’s their club. I just facilitate. 

Key Club Website: Wakefield High School Key Club – Home (weebly.com)

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in