JOSEPH WILLIAMS, Social Studies Department

Q: Why do you like teaching this subject
A: When I was in high school social studies was my subject, that’s what I was passionate about. I like a subject where we can talk about real things happening in the world. I think there are some real, practical applications there. Being able to engage with young people in those things makes my day.

Q: Where’d you go to school?
A: I did my undergraduate at UNC Wilmington and I got my masters from NC State [University].

Q: Where are you from?
A: Born and raised in New York. I was a kid when we moved down to North Carolina.

Q: What impact do you want to have on your students?
A: I want to make a difference in their lives, both in terms of creating a positive atmosphere to learn in and also teaching the subject matter. I think that’s a unique thing that social studies teachers have, where we can actually teach stuff that is super relevant.

Q: What’s your favorite teaching story?
A: Just the goofiness that happens in the classroom from [students] having a good sense of humor. I like to play and have fun in class.

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?
A: I’m a big gamer. Football and baseball are my two sports, that’s what I watch, what I like to unwind to on a Sunday. I like to read, a good mystery book or a classic. I rotate between the two.

Q: What are your favorite teams:
A: New York Yankees for baseball and New York Jets for football.

Q: What are your favorite books or video games?
A: My favorite book of all time is “The Count of Monte Cristo.” It’s such a good book, it’s a revenge story written by a guy who was alive during the French Revolution so it’s got historical significance as well. As far as games go, “Assassins Creed” is my all-time favorite, again it’s a history thing.

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Howler Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *