Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society

All responses by Jung Yu.

Q: What does the application process look like and who can apply?

A: Juniors and Seniors can apply at the Mu Alpha Theta website that can be found on the Wakefield high school website. 

Q: What are the requirements for students to be able to become a member of Mu Alpha Theta?

A: Initial requirements to become a member include being a Junior or Senior, have a 3.5 GPA, and received an A or B in all math courses completed. Once a member, there are service requirements. Eight credit hours, four each semester, coming from a combination of the following: school sponsored tutoring, creation of math assistance videos, participation in sponsored math contests, or potential other service opportunities. 

Q: Do members receive chords at graduation?

A: Seniors who complete all the hour requirements will receive chords at graduation.

Q: What is an overall summary of what the club has to offer?

A: Mu Alpha Theta is an honor society committed to promoting student interest and active participation in mathematics. It is a chance for students to demonstrate their academic prowess in mathematics. Mu Alpha Theta promotes community service of members while also helping promote interest and help in mathematics for the community. 

Q: Is there any additional information you would like to be showcased for students at Wakefield to know?

A: The leadership over the last two years has really tried to refresh Mu Alpha Theta from just an honor society that used to tutor during Pride Time to one that provides service and promotes the interest and aid in mathematics in other ways. With the pandemic, Mu Alpha Theta has been forced to be more creative and change with the conditions with how tutoring is offered.  As we have moved back to in-person, we are continually working on ideas of how to help the community as well as the members of Mu Alpha Theta.

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in