Day of Silence: Why and how to participate

Abby Lee, Website Editor

What is Day of Silence, and how did it start?

Day of Silence is a national event, sponsored by GLSEN (the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network). To be a participant means standing up against the discrimination of LGBTQ kids that occurs every single day. Day of Silence is meant to highlight the voices of LGBTQ youth in our communities. GLSEN asks you to “think about the voices you aren’t hearing today.”

According to GLSEN’s website, the event was started by students at the University of Virginia in 1996. GLSEN’s goal is to create a safe environment within schools for LGBTQ students and their allies, aiming to end discrimination towards students.

Day of Silence is one chapter in a story in which members of Wakefield’s GSA and their supporters can take a stand against the harassment of LGBTQ students.

What does participating mean, and do I have to be silent?

To participate in Day of Silence, there are two options. You can either register as a supporter and or a participant. On Day of Silence, supporters wear pride stickers, and participants wear pride stickers with black awareness ribbons overtop. Participants are silent for the day, and supporters are not silent, but display their encouragement.

How do I participate?

To participate in Day of Silence, please contact either Mrs. Oshinsky (room 3322), Abby Lee, or Gabriella Kluch to denote yourself as a supporter or participate no later than Wednesday, April 10th.

For more information on Day of Silence, click here to visit GLSEN’s official website.