Kiara+Mallory

Kiara Mallory

Kiara Mallory

If high school has been anything, it has been hard. Not in the sense that we challenge ourselves with honors and AP classes, honor societies, community service, and involvement; but because it occurs within four years of our development into young adults. Some classes were harder than others and maintaining my membership and service in honor societies was tedious, but having surgery on my torn anterior talofibular ligament, surgery on a cellular dermatofibroma in my back, and learning I would have to have a second surgery on my back were just the icing on the cake.

However, high school was an unforgettable experience because I was able to attend prom, special needs prom, take English classes that would spark my interest in a literary degree, meet so many incredible people, join the school newspaper, and eventually get into New York University and Washington University in St. Louis. I found silver linings in the difficult times like not being able to run track anymore, but joining and becoming a leader on the sports medicine team. I know that moving forward I will have the drive and mentality to work hard in college. I just hope I will be able to maintain a positive outlook and use the adversity in my life to help me keep pushing forward.

I think it’s important to make the most of your time wherever you go, and I believe I did so at Wakefield. I encourage those entering high school to be real with others and yourself. It is so easy to fall into different crowds and want to follow routines that are already too familiar. Join some clubs or start your own, apply for an honor society or a college that you may not think you will get into (you might surprise yourself), try out for teams, and participate in activities or opportunities without your typical friend groups. I am so grateful for the friends and family that have supported along the way, and I can’t wait to make everyone proud at Washington University in St. Louis. Live your best life. I sure am.

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in