The best of Netflix

Sophie Pearl, Staff Writer

The most wonderful time of the year is fast approaching, and as Christmas vacation appears, so does a common dilemma facing many teens: what to watch on Netflix. The popularity of the movie and TV streaming site has risen rapidly amongst the general population in the past few years, with 38% of Americans using the service in 2013, according to a Nielsen study. That number has increased dramatically as Netflix steadily gains followers on social media and earns its place in pop culture.

Finding the perfect shows to binge watch, comedies to make you laugh, or romances to make you cry is no easy feat. There are thousands to choose from, which is why it is necessary to compile a list of some of the best titles on Netflix, for everyone wanting a new obsession over winter break.

The Officethe-office

• The Office follows a group of office workers at the Dunder Mifflin paper company navigating their way through their unusual work lives. Under the lead of their eccentric boss, Michael Scott, ethics and proper workplace conduct go out the window. This show is funny and addictive, gaining a large following in the 9 seasons it was on the air. A great show to binge watch, it will definitely keep you laughing the entire break and beyond.

Gossip Girldd459bd8-3552-417b-8bd0-20e5ac1290fa

• Gossip Girl chronicles the high school and college experiences of the elite and wealthy in Manhattan’s Upper East Side. Told partly through the voice of an anonymous blogger, Gossip Girl is a roller coaster of drama from start to end that will keep you entertained and wishing you were a part of the action. Binge watching may be difficult with 6 seasons consisting of problems only the rich can understand, but winter break is a good time to start.

Remember MeRemember-me-Wallpapers-remember-me-32936915-1280-960

• Remember Me is the story of Tyler, a young man trying to heal after a major tragedy that created the broken family he is a part of, and how he finds solace in the company of Emily, a girl who understands his situation and creates a strong connection with him. Remember Me is a movie that will make you laugh and cry, and stay with you forever.

The Nightmare Before ChristmasThe-Nightmare-Before-Christmas-1920x1200-ToonsWallpapers.com-

• The Nightmare Before Christmas is a holiday classic that will really bring out your Christmas spirit. Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King of Halloween, finds himself drained and bored after yet another year of scaring. His accidental journey into Christmas starts an obsession that only
    kidnapping Santa Claus and creating his own scary version of Christmas can tame.  

Sherlocksherlock

• Sherlock is a modern spin on the detective classic Sherlock Holmes created by Arthur Conan Doyle. John Watson, a war veteran, finds himself roommates with the mysterious detective consultant Sherlock Holmes, with whom he roams the streets of London, solving one mystery after another and keeping the police on their toes. With every episode a different Holmes story, Sherlock is great for anyone who wants to feel like a real detective for a while.