Riggleman Hired as New Athletic Director

Rick Riggleman replaces Dexter Cooley as Athletic Director after 15 years.

Staff Photo by Cameron Osiecki

The newly instated Athletic Director, Coach Riggleman, has big shoes to fill.

Austin White, Staff Writer

Rick Riggleman, former Lifetime and Team Sports teacher, has been hired as the new Athletic Director of Wakefield High School for the 2015-2016 school year. He is replacing former AD Dexter Cooley who stepped down to fight his battle with cancer. Riggleman has big shoes to fill as Cooley was AD since Wakefield opened in 2000.

Taking over as Athletic Director is not an easy job and  Riggleman is likely to feel the pressure, but a recent interview with Riggleman demonstrates his determination to give back to the school.

“I wanted to give back what was given to me by previous Athletic Directors and coaches, in all honesty,” said Riggleman.

Athletic directors have responsibilities and duties that often go unnoticed.

“Athletic Directors are basically the highest paid custodians,” said Riggleman. “We do all the dirty and behind the scene work, such as cleaning up the stadium, cutting the grass and getting the field ready for the upcoming games.”

Riggleman graduated from West Virginia and Concord University with a degree in education. Teaching for so long and transitioning to an athletic director can be tough, but Riggleman is enjoying his time as Athletic Director so far.

“They both have their pros,” said Riggleman.  “Being a teacher I have about 90 kids I have to educate. As Athletic Director, I’m dealing with about 30 and I’m dealing with people on a larger scale and helping the school out.”

Many students at Wakefield feel like Riggleman is the right man for the job, as they see qualities in his teaching that can translate to Athletic Director. Riggleman is a very well respected man around the school, not only to students but to teachers as well.

“I feel like Riggleman is the right man for the job,” said Charles Johnson. “He’s a nice guy and does a good job of helping out with equipment for the soccer team. He’s also a good announcer at the games and does a lot for the high school.”

Riggleman will follow Cooley’s lead as he set the bar high and left many examples of how to succeed as Athletic Director.

“I think he can learn on how to communicate and be a nice guy like Cooley was,” Johnson said. “Cooley was also very organized so if Riggleman can do those things he will be a great AD”

Anthony Crutchfield, a senior at Wakefield, had very nice and respectful words about Riggleman.

“He was respected as a teacher,” said Crutchfield. “Kids would not talk back to him and he was very organized with his work.  I feel like he is going to do really good in his first year, I wish him the best.”

Wakefield is always expected to compete week in and week out in every sport. There are high expectations for every player, coach, and even the Athletic Director. With all the high expectations and the amount of pressure to build the athletics here at Wakefield, Riggleman has a good feeling about his first year as Athletic Director.

“I expect a good year not only for me but from the coaches,” said Riggleman. “I want them to continue their success for well run programs.”