Coach DeVeau invigorates Wakefield’s gymnasts

Wakefield+gymnastics+prep+for+their+match+in+Apex+against+Wake+County+schools.+The+team+hopes+to+win+with+their+new+coach+and+go+to+states.+

Photo Courtesy of Kat Wallace

Wakefield gymnastics prep for their match in Apex against Wake County schools. The team hopes to win with their new coach and go to states.

Jami Ward and Mille Monahan, Staff Writer and Co-Opinions Editor

The Wakefield gymnastics team is a small but mighty group of women who train hard each and every day. This year they have a new coach, and the team is working hard to create a meaningful connection with him to lead the team to victory in the state competition. Through rigorous practice, teamwork and friendship, the gymnastics team looks forward to a great season with a new leader. 

Chris DeVeau is the newly appointed coach for the team. After high school, he enlisted in the army. Now, he’s the Director of the Recreational Programs at Tri-County Gymnastics. While DeVeau did not participate in gymnastics in his early years, he devoted himself to coaching once leaving the army. This is DeVeau’s first high school coaching experience, and he’s looking forward to working with the girls. 

“I’m very excited about this year and getting an opportunity to be a coach for Wakefield,” DeVeau said. “The ladies on the team are a wonderful group and I hope I can do a good job [of] helping them to be successful.”

While the team only has five girls, that doesn’t stop them from working well together and performing to the best of their abilities. DeVeau works with the team multiple times a week to keep their routines strong through conditioning, skill practice and physical development. 

I’m very excited about this year and getting an opportunity to be a coach for Wakefield.

— DeVeau

Mia Bachelor is the captain of the team and a senior this year. She has been on the team all four years of high school. 

“He’s very easy to work with but he also pushes us really well and wants us to do our best,” Bachelor said. “I think he’s a really good fit for our team.” 

Since DeVeau is new to the team this year, it is essential for him to bond with his team. It was a priority for him to support his team and help them learn.

Kelsey Faircloth is a junior who has been with the team for three years. She understands the importance of teamwork. Faircloth also knows how crucial it is for the entire team to support each other every step of the way. Although the team is small, that doesn’t mean they can’t be as closely bonded as a large team. 

“Since we are a small team we really need to encourage one another,” Faircloth said. “Coach DeVeau is already doing an amazing job of that.” 

DeVeau is not the only new addition to the team this season. With every year comes new talent, and this year is no exception.  Bachelor shares her thoughts on the incoming gymnasts.

“I’m definitely looking forward to getting to know the girls a lot better this year because we have a bunch of new freshman girls. We have one new junior coming in also,” Bachelor said. “I’m really looking forward to getting to know them better and working and competing with them.”