Girls lacrosse team suits up for states

Mack Foley, Opinions Editor

If the Wakefield girls’ lacrosse team had set any expectations for themselves this regular season, they certainly met them. They blew past all competition this season, winning every game on their schedule and taking the title of conference champions for the second year in a row.

“We lost a lot of good seniors this year,” said Haley Cissel, a team captain. “But we’re stepping up and making it work. We had eight seniors last year and this year, we only have four. We have lots of new sophomores this year, so we’re all just trying to make it work.”

Megan Blawas, another team captain, feels the loss of the seniors too, but remains positive.

“We lost a lot of good seniors, but we also have some good younger people, so we’re doing pretty well,” said Blawas

Lacrosse is a sport that requires a fair amount of trust and teamwork. All positions depend on others to step up and do their job well for the team to function properly. Attackers and defenders have to perform perfectly to ensure that their teammates on the other side of the field feel comfortable enough to focus on doing their parts to win the game. Strong leadership is a necessity both on the field and off.

However, without a loss on the record so far, it would seem that the lack of returning players hasn’t affected the team on the field. Playoffs began on May 6, and the team is preparing itself the best it can to make a deep run.

“We’ve all been working together. We’ve had a few injuries, but people are making comebacks,” said Blawas.

The team has made it past their two first games and are now headed into the third round, hoping to keep their dreams alive. Blawas hopes that the girls’ experience together will take them all the way to the state championships.

“A lot of us have been playing together since sixth grade,” Blawas said. “We’re pretty connected on the field.”