MICHAEL BLANKENSHIP, World History

Q: What made you decide to teach World History?

A: When I was in high school, in West Virginia, I either wanted to get into law enforcement or history, I liked history so I thought I might teach that. I [did go into] law enforcement first, then [I] became a college teacher, and I wanted to finish out my time before retiring, teaching history.

Q: What made you move from working at a college to here at Wakefield High School?

A: [At] the college where I was working, I taught sociology and psychology. Due to the county I was in, they had low numbers, so they had to eliminate positions and mine was one of them. So [I decided] to go back and take some courses so I could teach, and that’s how I got into history.

Q: If you weren’t a teacher what would you be?

A: I [have] a real estate license and I’m working on an inspector’s license to inspect homes, [so] I would get into real estate, which is what I plan on doing.

Q: What was your favorite subject in school?

A: I liked history overall, but [the school I went to also] had criminology and I liked that.

Q: Do you have a favorite teaching story throughout the years?

A: I don’t think I have one in particular, [but] I have students that I see that I taught years ago and they remember when we talked. They’re all grown up doing the things they said they might have wanted to do, so it is pretty neat.

Q: Do you have any hobbies outside of school?

A: I like to lift weights, I like [to do] cycling, and I like riding my motorcycle.

Q: Do you have a favorite song or band?

A: [My favorite band is] Queensryche, [and my favorite] song is “Silent Lucidity.”

Q: Do you have a job over the summer when school is out?

A: I did not this past summer, [but] I will be inspecting houses starting next summer.

Q: Lastly, do you have any advice for students who are taking, or want to take your class?

A: I’m laid back, we respect each other [in the classroom], [and] I think we have a good class!

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in