Lessons for undergrads, from seniors

Abby Dykes, Staff Writer

High school is notorious for many things. Those four years where you begin to form yourself, grow into your opinions and create relationships that define you are absolutely crucial to becoming your own person. Even with the uncertainty of the past few years, the seniors of Wakefield are able to find valuable lessons and reminisce on the most important things they’ve learned as both a student and a community member. 

“The most valuable lesson I learned is not to procrastinate,” senior Lauren Carter said. “I always think I’ll get my work done later, but in the end, it doesn’t get done. I’ll definitely be able to use this skill in college.” 

Students even shared specific things they have learned that stuck with them. 

“I learned that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell,” said senior Alex Grimmett. 

Even with the constant pressure of schoolwork, students have been able to learn life lessons that don’t necessarily relate to their work ethic. 

“I’ve also learned that you shouldn’t take time for granted,” Grimmet said. “It’s important to remember that time goes fast. You have to appreciate things while you have them.” 

Even though the majority of their junior year was online, the class of 2022 was still able to create bonds and friendships that they treasure. Many speak about the relationships they were able to form in high school, and why they hold so much value to them. 

Some were even able to share advice in confidence and assurance for a great high school experience. 

I sacrificed so much for my grades and class rank, but I forgot that I’m young and still need to live.

— Helming

“Something I’ve learned is don’t be afraid to be a leader,” senior Sebastian Martinez said. “Don’t be afraid to be different.” 

Senior Georgia Helmig also has some advice for anyone in high school.

“I will graduate taking 10 AP classes, which sounds awesome until you realize how much I sacrificed for my academics,” Helmig said. “I sacrificed so much for my grades and class rank, but I forgot that I’m young and still need to live.” 

While schoolwork is important, many of the graduating seniors this year stress the significance of not overworking yourself while aiming for the best. 

“If I could tell my freshman self one thing,” Helmig said, “it would be to live and have fun in your youth.” 

With a successful end to the year, Wakefield’s graduating class of 2022 acknowledges the memories they’ve created and countless lessons learned from the past four years of their lives.