A prom to remember

Midsummer Night’s Dream awakens in downtown Raleigh

Hannah Chaya and Jake McCraw, Editor-in-Chief and Student Life Editor

On Saturday, April 25, the Wolverines gathered to celebrate a seminal stepping stone in their high school careers: prom.

“This year we decided to have prom in downtown,” said adviserBentley. “It was okay because many people were having dinner down there anyway, so they wouldn’t have to drive too terribly far.”

This year’s prom turned out to be a gratifying success, and according to the Student Government Association (SGA) more tickets were sold than last year.

“A Midsummer Night’s Dream was spectacular, it went off without a hitch,” said one of many supervisors and science teacher Russell Williams. “As far as proms go, it was pretty much the usual. Kids get their in their limos, all gussied up, they’re walking a little awkwardly in their shoes, inevitably someone’s parent follows them up because they forgot something, but it was pretty cool.”

Although prom was successful, the endless preparations that accompanied this celebration were demanding, to say the least.

“You have to find a group of friends that you’ll go to prom with,” said junior Samantha Begin. “After, you have to make plans and that takes a lot of effort. You have to shop, plan dinners, and plan your entire night in advance to make sure everything goes smoothly.”

Besides meticulously constructing a perfect night, student’s had to create innovative ways to request a date’s attendance alongside them; we call this PROMposal.

This year, the SGA developed a new way to determine the best PROMposal. A twitter account was created and students submitted photos of their PROMposal to @wakefieldprom1. After, these photos were shared and each retweet the photo acquired earned the proposer two points while each favorite was worth one point.

After weeks of PROMposal submissions, the first, second, and third place couples earned prizes.

The first place winner was junior Phillip Protz, the second place winner was junior Justin Fouts, and the third place winner was senior Morgan Darrow.

Protz walked us through the vigorous process of his PROMposal.

“I had to make a large box because obviously there aren’t many I can fit in,” said Protz. “I put several boxes together, wrapped up the box, but I left one end open so I could crawl into it. When she walked into the room, she thought it was a package from her grandmother, but she opened it and it was me! She was so happy.”

An essential part of the PROMposal process is originality.

“A PROMposal has to be original,” continued Protz. “It can’t be something you see very many people doing. This year, lots of people asked their dates to prom in ways that had already been done. I tried to do something never done before and it worked out really well.”

The rather dangerous behavior that could implicate a safe evening, especially during prom, was a big focus this year. The SGA created the PROMmise as an incentive and as a reminder for students to not make the mistake of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

“We came up with a way to promote safe driving throughout prom week,” said Bentley. “The sophomore council took on organizing PROMise and during prom week when we were selling tickets. Students signed a pledge to not drive under the influence and were given a gift to serve as a reminder of the promise they made; this year we gave out croakies.”

Needless to say, the excruciating time spent promoting safety as a top priority and organizing the event happen was well worth it and the turn out was exceptional.