Softball team moves into the end of their season

Photo Courtesy of Tanner Allen

The Wolverines share comeraderie after a muddy practice.

Jake McCraw, Student Life Editor

As the Lady Wolverines softball team approaches then end of their season morale is high and expectations are higher. With a short two week stretch the softball team could make or break what has been so far a successful season.

“We’ve had some ups and downs and it’s been crazy,” said Coach Inscoe, head coach of the women’s softball team. “We started off five and zero, we had spring break, and came back and lost three straight games.”

It’s safe to say the break had a negative effect on the team, however, bouncing back gave the ladies something to strive for.

“After the three losses we came back and won two games and lost one,” said Inscoe. “Now we are mid way through the season and have ten games remaining.”

Coming off of a small slump the Wolverines are getting their feet back under them and are learning from the mistakes they made during the beginning of the season.

“Looking back on our losses, one was by one run, another by two runs, and another by three runs,” said Inscoe. “We started off really strong and somewhere along the way we lost our confidence. We need to get back to where we were and I anticipate one of those games coming about.”

What the team lacks in confidence they make up for in unity. The players work well together and support each other thru thick and thin.

“Sara Harmon, our pitcher, has been pitching just about every game,” said Amanda Dacunto, team captain for the wolverines. “Without her we wouldn’t be able to play like we’ve been.”

Dacunto is no slouch herself. As a Team Captain as well as a junior Dacunto has help lead the team to their current seven and four winning record.

“Amanda is always focusing on softball,” said Eric Fox, teammate and Co-Captain. “She is always working really hard and you can tell she cares about the players on the team.”

The softball team’s success so far in the season has come from pure will. Not only have the ladies come together as a team but also learned how to work hard and strive for success.

“We work really hard at practice,” said Fox. “During games we’ve learned to focus and get stuff done.”

Now the Wolverines are moving into the end of the season with a big impact game in their sights. They will use their losses as a lesson to propel them in a great second half.

“We really haven’t had a big impact game yet,” said Inscoe. “Now we’re waiting for it. We have our big rivalry game coming up so that would be a great victory if we could beat Wake Forest.”