Fraternities no longer serve the common good

Why frats are bad news

Meera Mani, Opinions Editor

Recently in the news, more and more fraternities around the United States are being suspended for various reasons. On March 7, a video was uploaded of Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter at University of Oklahoma singing a racist chant that included many racial slurs and lyrics about lynching. According to Newsweek, the chapter learned this at a national Sigma Alpha Epsilon convention. Penn State has had investigations into its fraternities as well for posting inappropriate pictures on a private Facebook page, and recently North Carolina State University’s Pi Kappa Phi fraternity was disbanded for a notebook full of “sexist and racially insensitive comments,” according to WRAL.

The original purpose of fraternities was for students who wanted to meet in secret to have discussions and debates that were deemed not appropriate at schools. Originally, these organizations promoted qualities such as community service, leadership, and academic achievement. Its primary purpose it seems was academic advancement. Over time, fraternities have degraded greatly. It has become clear that prejudices from long ago have been allowed to continue on in fraternities. How did it become this way, and do fraternities do more bad than good?

Fraternities foster prejudices, stereotypes, bad conduct, as well as ignorance. With the exception of service fraternities, they do not actively do anything for the community? They have traditions that include hazing, alcoholism, rape, and other bad behaviors. When something promotes exclusivity, secrecy, and segregation, it can’t be anything good. Obviously, not all fraternities are bad, but some definitely leave much to be desired. Clearly students should know better and not partake in narcissistic and xenophobic behavior.

Fraternities are another type of social institution that may have outlived its usefulness. It has become negative and inappropriate. It is ultimately a form of social segregation that divides based on class and gender. Fraternities pick people that fit into their mold- those who look the same, talk the same, and even act the same as them.

Is it time that these be put to an end? They have two choices: either abolish the system, or fix the problem by introducing rules and regulations so frats don’t get out of hand. Either way, immediate action should be pursued.