FCCLA collect prom attire for student body

Staff photo by Stephanie Arana

Prom dresses showcase all the beautiful selections that will be available.

Stephanie Arana, Website Editor

Wakefield High Schools FCCLA  (Family, Career and Community Leaders of America) has organized a prom drive. They have gathered a group of students to spread the word on the collection of slightly used prom attire such as dresses, shoes and suits. These donations will be gathered and put in Brooke Carter’s room, the FCCLA advisor, and anyone interested will be able to come try on any attire they like. If it feels like the right fit then anyone is welcome to take it home and be all set for their perfect prom night.

“The main goal of the prom drive is to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to be included in having a prom,” said FCCLA president Katie Wakefield. “Where they are able to feel confident and beautiful without having to worry about the heavy price tags that come with prom.”

Not only are they looking for prom dresses but they are especially looking for male attire like dress shirts, suit jackets, dress shoes and dress pants. There has been a very short supply of men’s attire donated and it’s important that students help spread the word of this necessity. Suits can be very expensive and not many families will buy suits to only be worn once, unlike dresses which can be used for multiple occasions. 

“We want to make sure everyone gets a unique and amazing prom experience while looking amazing,” said Vice President of Programs Sage Robinson. 

Once the garments are received it will be placed in room 2220 where Carter’s team will look through all the donations and check for any small details that need fixing like loose threads or tears. The FCCLA will make sure that the clothing will be in good condition so that when interested students come in to check out the attire they will have a good selection of dress options.

Anyone who is interested in looking through these donations can come to Carter’s room, 2220 and try on all types of prom wear that catches their eyes. If it fits and feels like the one, then they can take it home and have it ready for prom. Donations will be accepted from now until April 8th, help make someone’s prom, a night to remember.