KYLE+SHIELDS

KYLE SHIELDS

KYLE SHIELDS, SPED/BST Department

Q:  What do you do here at Wakefield High School?

A:  I am a behavioral support teacher; we work on teaching social skills and working with people on individualized behavior plans, and helping them accommodate their goals with more specified instruction. I am also the assistant baseball coach for the varsity baseball team. 

Q:  What are you liking about Wakefield so far?

A:  This is my first time ever working in a school, so the biggest thing is that everybody here has been very accommodating, very helpful, especially with staff. I’ve worked in a few different industries and things like that, and every time I meet somebody new at this school, they’re helping me out with a question. Nobody makes me feel like an idiot for asking anything, everybody is just really pleasant around here to be honest.

Q:  What does your typical workday look like?

A:  It’s pretty simple actually, most times I come in [the school] I only have class first and fourth period, so we only have about four or five kids in [the classroom] first period depending on attendance for the day, usually that gets everything started. I like [teaching] kids first period because you’re doing something as soon as you walk in [the school]. Second and third period is usually meetings, lots of paperwork, things like that. Then we have another small class for fourth period. Four days a week we have baseball afterward for the fall, and so that usually rounds out the day. 

Q:  What do you like to do in your free time?

A:  My free time, I don’t have a lot of it. I work part-time coaching as well in Durham, but I like to work out, go to concerts, try new restaurants, I listen to a lot of music, and watch a lot of sports. Mostly just trying to spend more time with friends and family. 

Q:  Do you have any advice for your students or students in general?

A:  Don’t let everything get too big. I think one thing is that I did not realize I wanted to be a teacher until last year, so I didn’t know what I wanted to do until I was about 28 years old. Always put yourself in a good position to pivot, don’t let things get too big, don’t feel like you have to have it all figured out right now. If you put yourself in a good position, you can make whatever decisions you want, and be able to switch lanes whenever you want.  

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in