NADIA+THOMAS

NADIA THOMAS

NADIA THOMAS, Special Programs Department Chair

Q:  What do you do here at Wakefield High School?

A:  I’m the department chair for special programs. I help coordinate the department and I’m also a case manager.

Q:  What did you do before teaching at Wakefield?

A:  Before this school, I was an EC facilitator. So basically I did the same thing, I coordinated multiple different schools and I helped coordinate the special education department. 

Q:  What do you like about coordinating the department?  

A:  I like helping problem-solving, organizing and just basically facilitating that process. 

Q: What made you want to work with EC students?

A:  I’ve always taught EC kids. I think it’s fulfilling knowing you helped a student achieve a milestone. It’s very rewarding, especially when you can see that they’ve realized that they’ve overcome a barrier or were successful in a month or articulate or advocate for themself or can actually identify their defects. Once you’re able to reach a student it’s very rewarding. 

Q:  What are you most excited about now that we’re in person?

A:  Getting back to normal. I taught at a virtual school for four years, but I don’t like the interaction in the virtual environment. You don’t really know if you’re actually reaching someone and it’s not the most effective way for facilitating. 

Q:  What’s your favorite teaching story?

A:  I keep in touch with a lot of my students and families that I’ve taught and who have graduated. Just seeing what they’re doing on social media, seeing how far they’ve come and how independent they are considering they started off as freshmen following me around the school, that’s the best story ever.

Q:  Any advice for current freshmen or overall students?

A:  Keep your mask on and over your nose.

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in