Signing day commits

David Adams, Sports Editor

As a kid most people who are dedicated to their sport have the desire to play at the next level. Seniors Bo Boyden, Jensen Martin, Julia Forbes and Emily Rezac have all reached that goal and have signed a letter of commitment to play at their respective colleges on November 12. College athletics are very competitive around the nation and to be able to have the chance to play on a college team is an honor most people wish to achieve.
Bo Boyden has been playing tennis competitively for eight years and recently committed to play at the University of North Carolina.
“It’s always been a dream of mine to play tennis in college, especially at a university that I’ve grown up admiring as a kid,” said Boyden. “Now that I’ve reached that goal, the hard work is just about to begin.”
Committing to play a sport in college takes a lot of dedication and passion for the sport. Less than 6% of kids that play a sport in high school have the opportunity to play in a college in the NCAA, according to ncaa.org.
Jensen Martin has been playing competitive and non-competitive tennis for 14 years and has committed to play tennis at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte next year.
“Charlotte blew me away with their campus and program and it felt like a right fit for me,” said Martin. “I’ve always had the desire to play college tennis and now I have to reach for my highest potential to become a great competitor on the team.”
Forbes is another signing day commit who has signed to play volleyball at Queens University. Julia plays club volleyball eight months out of the year along with high school ball and trains during the offseason.
“I look forward to joining the team and having the opportunity to become an impact player right away, along with making some friendships that could last a lifetime,” said Forbes.
Coming in as a freshman requires a lot of support and openness to new techniques and ideas of the team. Most of the time freshmen don’t get to make a big impact their first year due to the fact that they are a little less experienced than the rest of the players on that team. These four seniors have the opportunity of a lifetime and each plan to go out and compete to help their teams and college succeed to the top level.
“I can’t wait to get to Carolina and work hard to earn my spot on the team,” said Boyden. “Nothing’s given so I have to go in there with a good attitude and be ready to help my team succeed.”