Wakefield artists inspire at First Friday

Photo Courtesy of Dawn Valentino

Wakefield students posing in front of their artwork at First Friday. Photo Courtesy of Dawn Valentino

Juliana Merzigian, Staff Writer

Wakefield artist Sarah Hennenkamp shows off her artwork.
Photo Courtesy of Dawn Valentino

On November 7, 2014, ten Wakefield students had their artwork displayed at the 26 Annual Young Artists Exhibit at the Visual Art Exchange in downtown Raleigh. This was for First Friday, an event in downtown Raleigh when art galleries stay open late until 9 p.m. on the first Friday of every month. The artists are typically in their studios to speak about their artwork and offer snacks and drinks to the public.

“The students don’t really realize how big of a deal [having a piece of art displayed in the show] is if they’ve never been to a gallery,” said art teacher Dawn Valentino. “It’s exciting to see them come down there and experience that whole ambiance with exceptional artworks throughout the gallery, whether they won an award or not.”

Both junior Jaquan Collins and senior Aziz Mbye agree that having an art piece displayed in the show and winning Honorable Mention are great accomplishments.

“It was a great feeling,” said Collins. “It made me feel like my talent went noticed.”

Along with Collins and Mbye, Sarah Hennenkamp, Kassandra Cole, Cameron Harston, Colton Valentino, Levi Malin, and Clare Witt all had a piece of art displayed in the show. Out of those students, Collins and Mbye won Honorable Mention. The talents of these students were recognized by their art teachers, Sara King and Valentino, who each turned in five works of art that they felt should be displayed in the First Friday event.     `

“Ms. King and I were looking for well rounded pieces that were well crafted but conceptually well thought out,” said Valentino. “We try to put in a variety of things from textual paintings to sculptural works made in various materials, ones that had great craftsmanship but also pieces made by students that have great work ethic and have time and time again proven to be exceptional.”

King and Valentino were very proud of their student’s achievements and try to inspire all of their students to strive for that goal. They want their students to be able to express themselves in order to create something great.

“There is not just one right answer in art,” said King. “In art there is a lot of gray area, a lot of room for their own individual personalities to come out. It’s also a very evolving project so you have to be willing to accept changes and improve upon them.”

Mbye has his teachers to thank for helping him through his struggles.

“Having their influence on my project and getting advice on how everything should be done really helps me out,” said Mbye. “Also, seeing people who have been recognized throughout history get to the level I want to get to inspires me to try my best.”

Collins says art is just a hobby for him but Mbye wants to go farther.

“My next goal is to finish my college art portfolio,” said Mbye. “I just have to continue to do my best on each piece of art; once I finish one I need to start thinking of the next one.”

Since the Young Artists Exhibit is an annual event, students can strive to have a piece in the show or receive an award for next year. Teachers encourage their students to go out to the first Friday events to see other artist’s artwork and galleries.

“My advice would be to go out and experience it,” said King. “You don’t have to be very organized, just go out and explore to see what’s going on. Whether you go alone or with a friend or parent, it’s a great thing to just go and experience.”