Five females commit to colleges at Wakefield’s signing event

Staff Photo by Abigail Mosher

Wakefield’s signees smile for a picture after signing with their future universities.

Nina Cherry, Sports Editor

Playing a sport at the next level is a dream that doesn’t come too often for most high school athletes. Seniors Lotte Fox, Camille Jernigan, Makaela Stokes, Corbin Reifschneider and Sara Wilson have all reached that goal and on Nov. 14 signed a document that would change their respective futures. 

Three students from our women’s soccer team, one student from our women’s golf team and one student from our women’s volleyball team signed to continue their academic and athletic careers at their destined colleges. 

Staff Photo by Abigail Mosher
Charlotte Fox signs to play golf at Elon University.

Senior Lotte Fox has been playing golf since she was six and signed to Elon University. Fox knows it will be a new experience and is ready to see what will come from it.

“I hope to acquire experience,” Fox said. “I want to be put in high pressure and really tough situations so I can learn and thrive from them.”

Staff Photo by Abigail Mosher
Camille Jernigan signs to play soccer with Longwood University.

Camille Jernigan has been playing soccer ever since she was four years old and signed to Longwood University. 

Jernigan is excited to attend Longwood next year but explains the challenges she faced throughout the whole recruiting process.

“The recruiting process was definitely one of the most stressful things I have been through,” Jernigan said. “But it’s definitely worth it in the end and I couldn’t be more excited.”

Staff Photo by Abigail Mosher
Corbin Reifschneider signs to play soccer at New Jersey Institute of Technology.

Corbin Reifschneider began playing soccer when she was seven and now plans to attend New Jersey Institute of Technology. Reifschneider always knew she wanted to do sports in college but after a major ACL injury kept her out of the sport she loved for 17 months, she became even more determined to make her dreams a reality. 

“I was diligent in rehab and came back really strong,” Reifschneider said. “I was able to get multiple college recruiting opportunities in just a few short months.”

Reifschneider hopes to be able to contribute to her new team any way she can and is thrilled for the next chapter of her life and her athletics. 

Staff Photo by Abigail Mosher
Makaela Stokes signs to play soccer with Hampton University.

Our last women’s soccer player, Makaela Stokes, started playing soccer when she was eight years old and signed to Hampton University. Stokes knew from an early age that she wanted to play soccer at the collegiate level and Hampton University was the best option. 

“[I chose it because it’s] a well-respected school, a historically black college, and the chance to play with my sister for another three years,” Stokes said. “In the end, it was a no brainer for me.”

Staff Photo by Abigail Mosher
Sarah Wilson signs to play volleyball with Belmont Abbey College.

Finally, Sara Wilson played on the varsity women’s volleyball team all four years of high school and signed to Belmont Abbey College. Wilson is not only focused on bettering herself in the sport, but growing as a person as well.

“I hope to become the best version of myself in and out of the sport in college,” Wilson said. “I also hope to become a better player and Belmont Abbey has everything I am looking for to succeed.”

Each of these athletes has a great opportunity and plan to take it on step by step. They know that it won’t be an easy journey, but they’re ready to see where it takes them. Signing day continues to bring Wakefield family and athletes together and is a great way to end the long recruiting process.