Five athletes commit to colleges

Staff Photo by Ann Chen

Matt McKay shows Pack pride during Wakefield’s fall signing event.

Recently, five Wakefield athletes publicly signed to their future home and university. All of the student athletes looked eager to finish their high school education and move onto their college experience. Not all universities are the same so we asked each athlete what made them choose their future school.

Hunter Stephens (Baseball) committed to Brunswick Community College- “It gives me another two years to grow and get stronger. Hopefully after that I’ll be able to move into a division 1 program.”

Hanna Anderson (Lacrosse) committed to Meredith College-Meredith is a beautiful small private school with the class sizes and the close professor relationship that I need. Meredith is also only 30 minutes from my house and since I didn’t want to be far from home it’s perfect. Meredith has a very good lacrosse program that does very well every year. Two of my best friends, Casey Sprague and Julie-Anne Pretty, also go to Meredith and play lacrosse there so I know that they will make it even more enjoyable for me.”

Matt McKay (Football) committed to NC State “NC State is just a great place to me, and it really feels like home. The coaches are truly like family and the fan base treats you like family. I really feel like my style of play fits in with that program, and I want to take them to the next level. Also, the atmosphere of the campus and games are crazy and their academics are top notch.”

Bella Buccellato (Softball) committed to Lincoln Memorial University “I chose LMU because I love the coaching staff and team. I also love the location of the school which is in the mountains of Tennessee.”

Gentry Benda (Volleyball) committed to University of Bridgeport in Connecticut “Since the school is far away I need a family up there and the coach is like a father figure. And most of the girls are from Europe so it’ll be a whole new adventure, plus it’s close to NYC which is my favorite place.”