Staff Photo by Chase Cofield

The Wolverines getting ready to snap the ball.

Enloe can’t hang with the Wakefield crew

October 14, 2016

wakefield-vs-broughton-pic-1The Wakefield football team took the win in a game against Enloe High School adding to their 5-1 record. With a score of 42-10 the team was able to defend their winning streak by achieving back to back touchdowns. Going into the game the players predicted a positive outcome, but they didn’t let their confidence conflict with their performance. The student section went wild and supported the team as they took home the W.

Coach Rodney Sink was very pleased with his players’ performance, and he believes this game places the team in a good position for going into future games against more challenging opponents.

“We predicted a positive outcome,” Sink said. “We were a better team and expected to go out there and take care of things, as a coach you always worry that they won’t play as well as they could have, but we didn’t fall victim to that this time.”

The team’s ability to remain focused and stay composed throughout the game was very well showcased. Quarterback Matt McKay felt that the team was well prepared both physically and mentally going into the Enloe game.

“We have been working hard during practices and trying to stay focused every day by knowing what needs to be accomplished,” McKay said. “Our defense has really stepped it up these past couple of games.”

The game was one of skilled defensive tackles and strong offensive plays. Going into the Enloe game the team was able to have gone three games in a row without having been scored on. This skill on the defensive end was evident throughout the game, and McKay’s leadership was vital on the field.

Being a captain requires providing a role model to other teammates and setting good examples of work ethic during games and trainings. Junior Becket Fusik, finds that McKay’s leadership role has helped improve him as a player.

“I really look up to McKay,” Fusik said. “He really helps push us and supports us which I think helps us play better.”

Fusik sees the importance of being united as a team, and also being united as a school. The cheering of fans in the crowd encourage

Wakfield Wackos getting hyped up for the game.

s players to play hard, and to push through the fatigue that plagues them at the end of games. Without the support of the Wakefield Wackos, the Enloe game may have had a different outcome.

“It’s very encouraging to hear people cheering for us as we play,” Fusik said. “It is a good source of motivation.”

To help show support of the team, Wakefield students hosted a beach themed game filled with outrageous costumes. The crazy crowd could be seen wearing bathing suits, swimming floats, and an assortment of other beach related attire. As head Wacko, senior August Ismay is in charge of getting students excited for games and coordinates the school cheers. He believes the game was a success and the turnout of supporters for the football team was impressive.

“It was a pretty good game,” Ismay said. “ A lot of the players told us they liked hearing us in the crowds cheering. At the end of the day we just have a good time being there for our school.”

Coach Sink agrees with many others in saying he sees a difference in the team’s performance when there are people cheering them on.

“The student section is a rowdy bunch, but I think it’s a positive thing,” Sink said. “I see that many of the players enjoy it.”

The Howler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Howler Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *