Princes and princesses prepare for this year’s homecoming

Homecoming Week is October 17-21 with the Homecoming dance on Saturday, October 22

A+poster+advertises+for+the+upcoming+homecoming+dance.+

Staff Photo by Chase Cofield

A poster advertises for the upcoming homecoming dance.

Dancing, twirling, singing, laughing and so much more that the student body can expect for this years Homecoming. Held on Saturday, October 22 in the gymnasium, students and staff will be treated to a magical night where dreams may come true even if it’s only Once Upon a Time.

One important detail that the student body can look forward to this year is the theme for spirit week and the Homecoming dance that follows.

“The theme for the dance is going to be called “Once Upon a Time. It’s about fairy tales,” senior Evan Zullo, President of the Student Government at Wakefield, said. “On Monday for spirit week, is Monster’s University day, which is  college day. Tuesday is Sleeping Beauty day, and that’s where you wear your pjs. Wednesday is Walt Disney Day, that is character day, where you dress up as your favorite Disney character. Thursday is Ohana Day, which is Hawaiian Day, and Friday is called Lion King day which is pride day, when you wear your Wakefield apparel.”

Members of student government and the Homecoming committee, like Senior Anna Clark and Zullo, have put in a great deal effort to make this year’s homecoming bigger and better than ever before.

“We had a meeting before school even started about homecoming,” Zullo said. “We made posters about homecoming at least four times a week, during lunch and during pride time. We come Saturday morning before the dance so we can actually set up for homecoming and that takes four hours to do and then afterwards we have to stay and clean.”

“Our job is mainly getting other people involved our ideas.” Clark said. “So it’s been hard deciding one clear view on what to do and how we want to do it because we’re the ones telling other people what to do.”

An enthusiastic couple are excited about going to homecoming together for the first time.  

“We get to hang out with each other,” Junior Cindy Chen said, “it’ll be fun.”

Junior Tyler Nottingham will be the date Chen is going with. Though they’ve been dating for a two weeks, Nottingham has prepared something special for Chen.

“I haven’t formally asked her yet” Nottingham said. “But it’s going to be a surprise.”

It is important to remember that if this homecoming is cancelled this year, like it was last year, there will never be another homecoming again at Wakefield.

“This will be the last year I ever offer it. If it [Homecoming] doesn’t make it this year, this will the last year I do a dance,” Student Government Advisor, Emily Scoggins said. 

There are many reasons why students should consider going to the “Once Upon a Time” homecoming.

“You only have one high school career so why would you not go. It’s a part of high school, it’s a part of the experience.” Clark said. “And I mean, a lot of seniors want to do it this year, so I hope we can pull it off.”

It is also not everyday where you can have a ‘Once Upon a Time” themed homecoming.

“Homecoming is a special opportunity in high school,” Chen said, “have fun with your friends and enjoy it.”

Don’t let this precious moment go to waste,  make the most memorable time out of it.

“It’s a school event,” Nottingham said, “a once in a lifetime opportunity.”