Jumping back in time to totally tubular 80s highschool films

A review of blockbuster movies from the 80s

Emma Finn

More stories from Emma Finn

Mullets and perms plagued the decade of iconic trends and movements of the 80s. Ask any middle aged adult to reminisce on their righteous and radical days of the 80s, and just about everyone will respond with an immediate cringe usually followed by a self reflective chuckle. It was a time of insults such as “barf me out,” “bag your face” and “eat my shorts” to target your grodiest enemy. Most importantly, it was a period of golden high school films that almost any modern high schooler could relate to.

One of the many memorable films of the decade was The Breakfast Club (1985). The storyline features five high school students from five different cliques: the athlete, the criminal, the brain, the princess and the basket case. Even today, students struggle with ‘fitting in’ and often worry about being popular. To watch these five oppositions merge together into one large friendship fills isolated hearts of students who haven’t quite found their social home in his or her own high school. Whether the coexistence lasted past the day of detention or not is unknown, but what is known is that for one day they each found a piece of themselves in each other and were together as one. “You see us as you want to see us… In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basket case, a princess, and a criminal.”

Featuring a high school hottie in love with the invisible girl, the film Sixteen Candles (1984) is a true classic. What teen doesn’t want to get swept off their feet by the school hottie who they’ve secretly liked for the duration of high school? Every school has that one guy that all of the girls fond over and secretly hope to fall in love with. It’s a whimsical film that will make any viewer’s heart fall to cutie Jake Ryan. It also shows the typical teenage attitude that “parents just don’t understand.” Just for a moment- jump into a world where your worries are nothing more than having a sizable butt, having the school cutie fall for you and receiving a proper amount of attention on your sixteenth birthday. “Would you stop feeling sorry for yourself? It’s bad for your complexion.”

Another impressive blockbuster of the decade was Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986), a film highlighting teenage angst and desire for a wild adventure. Ferris Bueller, alongside his girlfriend Sloane and best friend Cameron, scheme up an incredible plan to play hooky; however, the school’s cooky principal, completely aware of Bueller’s previous conduct and attendance, spends the day trying to catch him. It’s another classic that shows three friends’ adventure involving a pristine red Ferrari, elaborate fake dummy with snoring sounds included, and a crazy amount of confidence. Sometimes you have to live on the edge a little before your youth runs out. As cheesy as this is, it’s true: you only have one life to live so make it a fun, memorable one. “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.”

The memorable movies of the 80s will forever serve as inspiring entertainment for high schoolers and nostalgic parents. Whether you’re looking for some witty humor, hearty young love or throwback 80s style and language, these high school featured films will fill that yearning place in your heart-young or old.