Wolverines sign with the college of their dreams

Athletes sign after their long recruiting process

Photo Courtesy of Susanne Boyden

Senior, Susanne Boyden signs to Cal Poly to play tennis.

Austin White, Staff Writer

Many high school athletes sacrifice a lot and give everything they have to get a chance to play college sports. On April 14, those athletes achieved their dreams and signed with their respective colleges. Wakefield had athletes from girls lacrosse, football, girls tennis, track and field and softball signed to a college.

Hunter Stephenson, senior punter for the football team, signed with Elon, FCS (football championship subdivision) team.

“Everywhere else where I was being recruited the coaches weren’t really into it,” said Stephenson. “When I went to visit Elon, they felt like family. Academically Elon is one of the best in the state, it’s up there with Duke and Wake Forest. I’m looking forward to getting on campus and getting used to the academic life.”

Stephenson, who punted for one year on varsity football, sent game film to Elon and other schools.

“I sent my game film to a bunch schools like UNC Charlotte and ECU,” said Stephenson. “When I sent mine to Elon, the coach emailed back and invited me on a visit and to one of their games. I traded some more emails with the coach and they offered for me to go there. It was tough because I had an opportunity to go to Charlotte as a walk on, but it came down to the coaching staff, campus, and academics.”

After the long process, emotions were running high on signing day.

“It was surreal,” said Stephenson. “This time a year ago I didn’t even know I would be playing football, so it was unreal to think I’m actually here. I couldn’t believe it was happening.”

Susanne Boyden, a senior four year starter and three time state champion signed with California State Poly for tennis.

“I wanted to go far away from North Carolina,” said Boyden. “I was looking at N.C. State, but I wanted to do something different. I was looking at the Big Ten for a while but I didn’t want to go somewhere cold, I wanted to go to the west coast. I loved the team, the coach, and the weather, it felt like home.”

The recruiting process was different than most people are used too.

“It’s different for every sport,” said Boyden. “In tennis there are two big tournaments, hard courts and clay courts which is over the summer. One is in California, the other is in Tennessee. The day before there are a bunch of college tables set up where you can introduce yourself to college coaches. Once you talk to them, they usually come and watch you play.”

Being far away from home next year, Boyden will miss her high school team and friends from Raleigh.

“I will miss my team and my coaches,” said Boyden. “My friends could come and watch me play. But in college it will be a lot more hard work where here it was more laid back and chill.”

Amanda Dacunto, senior softball player, signed to play at Salem College.

“The recruiting process was stressful and exciting especially when you have more than one option,” said Dacunto. “You want to make the right decision, but it’s exciting being able to look at different divisions. It’s pretty much every athlete’s dream.”

Dacunto chose Salem for the school’s campus and education.

“The people there are great,” said Dacunto. “Education is phenomenal at Salem. As soon as I stepped on campus I knew it was the place I wanted to go.”

Additional athletes who signed include Julie-Anne Pretty and Casey Sprague from the girls lacrosse team.  Both signed with Meredith College. Breanne Bygrave signed with University of Pennsylvania.