There’s no price for doing something nice

Kennedy Little

More stories from Kennedy Little

Staff Photo by Cameron Osiecki

A student holds a door open for another fellow student.

Random people do nice things for strangers every day.  Whether it be for people or animals, being nice makes a huge difference in many lives.  When a kind act is committed, the acts spread, and in spreading kindness, happiness is radiated throughout the world.  

We hear about kind acts all of the time, but usually just in passing.  In order for them to stick in people’s minds and truly make a difference, they need to be reiterated and praised.  Many acts are considered to be nice; however, some people go the extra mile to be sure that they are making a difference in the lives around them.

Some people aren’t entirely sure what they’re getting into, just that they are doing their part to help out their school and community.  Wakefield student, Thomas Peters, volunteers his time on floor crew for color and winter guard.  This basically means that he does whatever they need him to do whether it be handling equipment or completing random tasks.

“I was just curious about what guard was,” said senior Thomas Peters.  “After joining, I got to see how hard they worked on a daily basis and it inspired me to do more.”

One family I had the opportunity of interviewing raises guide dogs, which is an incredibly difficult, yet rewarding feat.  It is something not many people are aware of.

“We started raising the pups as a service project for the family,” said senior, Hayden Morgan.  “Also, as a way to do something for someone else.  We love doing it, but it’s great and painful because you come to love the dogs, but they’re not yours and you have to face the inevitable and give them back.  However, knowing you are bettering someone else’s life is a great feeling.”

It is incredible to see young people going out of their way to make positive differences in other’s lives.  These students are an inspiration to everyone around them.

“I feel that if kindness was more prevalent, especially in young adults, the world would be a better place,” said Peters.  “Anyone who condones or participates in the terrible act of being mean should take a hard look at themselves in the mirror.”

Kind acts can be found virtually anywhere.  A Wakefield High School  teacher adopts tigers as part of the kind lifestyle that she lives.

“Tigers are interesting,” said Wakefield teacher, Carrie Dickerhoff.  “You don’t come across them everyday.  To be able to take care of a tiger is awesome because you feel like it is your tiger.  We went to the Carolina Tiger Rescue Mission and fell in love with their goals of raising and taking care of the tigers.”

Being able to provide for an animal that needs it is an astonishing duty.  

“We’ve had three tigers,” said Dickerhoff.  “I always know that they’re being fed and getting the proper medicine.  I try to make a difference in my student’s lives, but you can’t always go visit a student.  I know I can always go visit my tiger.”

There are plenty of other ways to help people as well, if you are unable to raise an animal or spare a lot of time and money.

“We provide for the Salvation Army by taking care of battered women and children,” said Dickerhoff.  “We’ve done several feedings of the homeless people in the Raleigh area.  I’ve been able to form a bond with one of them, and if I know that I am heading in his direction, I bring bottled water and a sandwich with me to help him out a little.”

These are just a few ways people find to give back to their communities, but there are truly endless possibilities to change someone’s life.  It doesn’t take much to make someone feel better.

“The personal satisfaction of actually changing another person’s life and giving them freedom they’ve never known is incredible,” said Morgan.