Teacher of the Year Award marks Bode’s 31st year of teaching

This year, Irma Bode was selected as Teacher of the Year. Her influence inside and outside of the classroom cannot be understated.

Hannah Chaya

More stories from Hannah Chaya

Staff Photo by Cameron Osiecki

Irma Bode creates a fun learning environment for her students.

Recently, Family and Consumer Science (FACS) teacher, Irma Bode, was named Wakefield’s Teacher of the Year. This is Bode’s 31st year teaching, and 11th year teaching at Wakefield.

Bode, along with other teachers, was nominated for the award.

“I knew I was nominated,” said Bode. “It wasn’t until Ms. Thomas and Mr. Bazzell brought me flowers to my classroom that I knew I won. It was very moving to me. I didn’t expect that I would get it, and I certainly didn’t expect that I would feel the way I did when I was told that I got Teacher of the Year.”

Although Bode was taken by surprise, she was gratified to learn that she won the nomination.

“It means that I must be doing something right,” said Bode. “Teachers are a tough audience; we are designed to be leaders, a little bit controlling and critical. So for a teacher to say that another teacher is worthy of that honor means a lot to me.”

Her colleagues believe she was a worthy contestant because of her admirable teaching style. CTE Department Chair, Sarah Joyner, is one of many who agrees that Bode is an exceptional teacher.

“I’ve known Ms. Bode since I started here 11 years ago,” said Joyner. “She’s an amazing teacher and an amazing person. She’s just one of those people that you can talk to if you’re having a bad day because she’ll put a smile on your face.”

Joyner explained how Bode positively represents the CTE Department as a whole.

“I think she does an excellent job representing our department,” said Joyner. “One of the biggest things that the county and the state are pushing to promote is CTSO, or Career Technical Student Organizations, and [Bode’s] is the largest in the state.”

The Family, Career, Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) is the largest CTSO in North Carolina. Bode is the adviser of FCCLA and has been since she began teaching at Wakefield.

Bode noted that this year broke the record of FCCLA members, as there are nearly 150 members. Furthermore, with her guidance, the FCCLA has successfully competed at State and National Conferences.

“I have traveled with students to the National Conference and have had students compete at the national level,” said Bode.  They’ve received gold and silver medals at Nationals, which means they must achieve first place at the State Conference in order to compete at Nationals.”

Bode has influenced FCCLA members as well as the students in her classroom.She teaches a Child Development course. The course itself allows Bode’s unique teaching style to flourish.

“My style is allowing students to speak their minds, and the subject matter that I teach lends itself to that,” said Bode. “I like to think that it’s an open forum for discussion. I love that. Some teachers may feel the need to keep a tight leash for several weeks while they’re getting to know their students, but for me, I’m just me from day one until the last day. I’m not super strict, but I do follow the guidelines and the rules of the school, but in a more relaxed manner.”

After teaching for more than 30 years, she explained one of the greatest lessons she has learned as a teacher.

“I feel like I know a lot about child development and early childhood, but I’ve learned more than just that,” said Bode. “I’ve learned that everybody that sits in my class is somebody’s baby. I would hope that the majority of the students are loved passionately by somebody. When I have a problem with a student, or a student’s not performing like they should, I look at those students like they belong to somebody, and I think about how that person would want me to handle their child.”

This approach proves to be successful because nearly all of Bode’s students enjoy her class and appreciate her charisma.

“I currently have Ms. Bode for Child Development and I really like the class,” said senior Morgan Duncan. “She’s always kind, respectful and encouraging. She makes the class feel like a safe environment. She’s taught me it’s a necessity to be nice to those around you and to try and make the foundation of any kind of relationship healthy and respectful.”

Joyner agrees that Bode is well-liked amongst the students.

“Every student that I’ve ever talked to that had her as a teacher loves her and they all remember her,” said Joyner. “I know that she has a lot of students that come back to see her or become teachers because of her. She inspires them to become their own teachers and that’s huge because this is a profession that, unfortunately, not a lot of people want to go into. She really motivates people to want to do that.”

The same way students are influenced by Bode, Bode is influenced by the students.

“It sounds like you would expect me to say this, but I really love my relationships with my students,” said Bode. “That’s my favorite thing. Even though I could probably retire since I have my 30 years, what I would miss the most would be my interactions with my students and my peers.”