WCPSS Snapchat ban happened in a flash

Ban of Snapchat on school wifi has caused an uproar among snappers.

Staff Photo by Chase Cofield

Wakefield students use the snapchat app on their smartphones.

Rebecca Fiely and Manuela Vega

The recent ban of the popular social media platform, Snapchat, has caused a stir among students. The Wake County Public School System’s twitter account was flooded with questions and student complaints regarding the ban. Murmurings of frustrations can be heard in the hallways from those against the ban, along with praise from those in favor of it. Technology is evolving rapidly, and with it comes an increase in the use of different types of communication devices, and of course, social media.

With power comes great responsibility, and one must always accept the consequences for their actions. In this scenario, Snapchat has been both abused, and used for malicious activities among some of the student body in Wake County.

“It’s not being used appropriately,” said Jasmine Alston, counselor, “I know some people think ‘Well, I’m not the one doing it,’ but it’s [still] not being used in the right way.”

Cyberbullying is a serious, and sadly, common occurrence on social media. Blocking Snapchat is just one way that Wake County is trying to take preemptive action against this form of bullying.

“Snapchat is probably the most harmful [form of social media] because you can say these things and then it disappears– it starts a lot of unnecessary drama.” said Alston.  

Bullying isn’t the only issue targeted through the elimination of the app; Snapchat causes a major distraction in class, hampering the educational endeavors of the students.

“[Students] will be in class, with [their] phones in [their] pockets, and all of a sudden, someone takes their phone out.” said Anson Robinson, administrator. “When you’re in class, is it that important?”

Snapchat was developing into a major distraction for students, negatively affecting the educational environment for everyone.  

“Snapchat has no educational value and it should be blocked,” said Robinson.

Students at Wakefield High School have a different view and find educational uses within this diverse social media app.

“The Discover section can keep you updated with the news because a lot of people don’t like to sit down and watch the news or read the newspaper,” said Greg Wolcott, senior. “So if [students] can watch a short clip or headline, they can stay updated in a way they can understand.”

Snapchat is still accessible through personal data usage, but officials are hoping the ban will stop the use of phones during instructional time. However, the students who only use the app between classes and at lunch were upset to learn that Snapchat would no longer be a part of their free time at school.   

I was annoyed because [WCPSS] blocked Snapchat.  I’m just really curious as to what the point is,” said Bryn Goldsmith, junior. 

Students are further confused and frustrated by the ban because the issues it is addressing have not yet ceased in the school’s educational setting; students are still using the app at the cost of their own data.   

“It’s so irritating because you now have to use data,” said Goldsmith. “No one’s just going to stop using Snapchat, so I felt like it was pointless.”